ART CLASSES FOR ADULTS ON LONG ISLAND
Our art classes for adults cover a wide range of subject matter and mediums. They are offered during the day, evenings and weekends. Usually, we begin with a study of the core fundamentals needed to create artwork of exceptional quality using traditional techniques. Most of our program begins with exercises that introduce students to the basics of drawing and then gradually move into painting. But we do have a few classes where students jump right into painting.
In our Foundations classes, we begin by working with line first, then introducing the concept of value. We stress the importance of of training the an artist’s eye by working from life in the very start. The ability to translate from 3D observation of a real object, be it an apple or a portrait, into 2D on paper or canvas is the first step in artistic competency. Once the student is reasonably comfortable with that step, we then introduce painting. First we teach you how to work in grayscale, relying on value and line to create form. The next logical step is to introduce limited color, and then finally a full color palette.
• You can register online.
• Late registrations are welcome
• If you start late, call to have your tuition prorated.
• Please review our policies regarding make-ups, refunds, and enrollment here prior to registering.
• Click on each course name to find a course description and materials list
• Due to rising credit card fees, students paying by credit card, either online or in person, will also be responsible for a non-refundable administrative fee of $5 per course